Churchill Academy

Year 7 Match Report

Churchill v Clevedon

On 5th March the Year 7 football team had a fixture at home against Clevedon; the weather was wet and windy. The match was late starting due to Clevedon arriving late due to traffic.
Clevedon won the toss and decided to kick-off, both teams started off very strongly and created many chances from this. Our back line was being dominated by H Nelson-Pritchard and M Smith which helped. When approximately fifteen minutes into the first half a great goal from outside of the box was scored by N Dennis, it flew through the air and dipped over the goal-keeper to get the opener for Churchill 1-0.
After our goal, Clevedon upped their game to get the equaliser to level the score at one all. As half-time approached a few chances appeared from C Vann and M Smith from aimed corners by O Hall.
After half time, we were determined to get our second goal to bring us into the lead. Soon enough a few neat touches from H Cekaj and some good wing passing from O Griffiths gave us another great opportunity which appeared for M Smith, he took it beautifully with another out of the box banger that flew straight past the keeper to give us the lead at 2-1. With some great midfield work from H Wacker, A Cockram and some excellent saves from J Weall in goal, a corner was turned into a tremendous chance for B Skudder. The ball rolled over the line (I am sure it went in!) but the goal keeper pushed it out for a corner. Unfortunately on this occasion the referee didn’t award the goal. VAR was needed.
From some good skills from W Smith, some bold pressure from J Milton and some strong defending from W Hathway and A Gait we made a few more chances, but we couldn’t stop them getting the equaliser. We conceded a free-kick at the edge of the box - they had a crack and with an awkward bounce it launched over J Weal in goal and into the back of the net.
With the match drawing to a close our opposition had one final attack which they converted to give them the lead. With a few more minutes left on the clock we could not get the equaliser which gave Clevedon the win at 3-2.  UNLUCKY TEAM, with more practice, training and fitness we’ll do better in the future.

 Benedict Skudder, Year 7